Philips Carina Superautomatic Espresso Machine EP1220/04
Skip your quick-stop coffee and its long lines, expensive substitutions, and confusing menus with the Philips Carina 1200 Superautomatic Espresso Machine. A spiritual successor to the Saeco Vienna Plus, the Carina offers a futuristic featureset fit for the modern kitchen. Simple operation, minimal maintenance, and good coffee are all just a quick touch away. Dedicated espresso and coffee buttons save your size and strength settings, leaving foam frothing up to you with a panarello-style steam wand. Maintenance is similarly streamlined: Add-on AquaClean smart filtration keeps track of the number of drinks you make between filter changes, a water reservoir and dump box that load from the front, and a generously-sized 10-ounce bean hopper for less refills and more ristrettos. More than a list of features, the Carina comes in at a competitive pricepoint even against capsule machines and steam-powered faux-espresso makers. Save on the coffee you love with the Philips Carina Espresso Machine.
- All-In-One - The Carina 1200 grinds, brews, and froths—all in a compact coffee package.
- Panarello Steam Wand - This auto-frothing wand makes the foam for you, while still giving you control over temperature and texture.
- Programmable Drinks - Each drink button can be preset to your favorite recipe, and changed on the fly with handy dose and volume buttons.
- AquaClean Equipped - Add Philip's smart-sensing water filter to track usage—letting you go up to 5000 cups without the need to descale.
- Front Loading Water Tank - Oft-overlooked, the Carina's 1.8L slide out water reservoir is refillable without having to move your machine.
- Bean Hopper - The Carina's 10-ounce bean hopper offers ample shots between refills.
- Cost-Effective Cappuccinos - If you currently drink a couple of cafe cappuccinos a day, you're Carina will have you saving money in just a few months.
- Maintenance Magic - No water worries here; easy refills and a set-and-forget water filter means less effort, more espresso.
- Simplicity - The Carina trades microcustomizability for ease of operation—a tap or two is all you need for your morning cup.
- Button Backlights - Small amber LEDs are the only indicators you get on the machine.
- Two-Step - While the dedicated brew button gives you the option to adjust your drink before brewing, once you have it set to your favorites the extra step is largely unnecessary.
Tips and Tricks
Too hot? Press and hold the coffee strength button while the machine is off to adjust temperature.
What it Covers: Philips Saeco Carina Superautomatic Espresso Machine
Length: 2 Years
Who Supports the Warranty: Philips
Warranty Contact Information: 800-933-7876
Eligible for SCG Extended Warranty? Yes
Can SCG Repair? Yes, read more about our repair services
Care and Maintenance
- Wipe out bean hopper between refills
- Swap out your AquaClean filter as directed, usually every 2-3 months
- Make sure to empty your dump box and drip tray regularly
Product Weight (lbs.)
Temperature, Dose, Shot Time
Stainless Steel-lined Aluminum
Adjustable: 3 to 5.5 inches
Warm Up: Brew Time
Auto Shut Off
Bean Hopper Capacity
Philips Saeco is a fine producer of superautomatic espresso machines. From offering the best value in the category with the Philips Carina, to best in class performance in the Saeco Xelsis, this is a brand that has refined and developed the perfect user experience for decades. We love Philips Saeco for their machines’ ease of use, quality performance, and AquaClean filtration, which makes maintenance a breeze. Start your espresso journey with Philips Saeco, and explore a whole world of incredible coffee.
Compare Similar Machines
|Jura A1 Superautomatic Espresso Machine||Jura D6 Superautomatic Espresso Machine - Platinum||Philips 3200 LatteGo Superautomatic Espresso Machine|
As low as $799
|Auto Shut Off||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Bean Hopper Capacity||5 ounces||6 ounces||10 ounces|
|Boiler Material||Stainless Steel-lined Aluminum||Stainless Steel-lined Aluminum||Stainless Steel-lined Aluminum|
|Cup Clearance||Adjustable; 2 to 5.5 inches||Adjustable 2.5 to 4 inches||Adjustable: 3 to 5.5 inches|
|Depth||17.5 inches||13.5 inches||17 inches|
|Height||12.7 inches||16.25 inches||14.5 inches|
|Programmability||Dose, Shot Time||Temperature, Dose, Shot Time||Milk Volume, Temperature, Dose, Shot Time|
|Reservoir Size||37 oz.||1.8 liters||1.8 L|
|Warm Up: Brew Time||1:18||1:07|
|Water Sources||Reservoir/Internal Tank||Reservoir/Internal Tank||Reservoir/Internal Tank|
|Width||9.4 inches||11 inches||9.5 inches|